name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Words Matter

Monday, March 15, 2010

Words Matter

The words of Balaam to Balak, king of Moab:
"I must speak only what God puts in my mouth." Numbers 22:38
"Must I not speak what the LORD puts in my mouth?" Numbers 23:12

Zechariah, the priest, who was unable to speak for the nine months preceding his son's birth:
"He asked for a writing tablet, and to everyone's astonishment he wrote, 'His name is John.' Immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue was loosed, and he began to speak, praising God." Luke 1:63-64

"A man who lacks judgment derides his neighbor,
but a man of understanding holds his tongue." Proverbs 11:12

Words are important. Words are powerful. The words we speak can impart a blessing or a sting that remains long after the conversation is over. What we speak matters to God.

The right to self-expression isn't all it is cracked up to be. I have done so much damage by failing to filter my words through the Holy Spirit. Consistently submitting my tongue to Him requires great discipline. I cannot do this on my own.

Jesus kept his eyes on the Father. Everything he said, everything he did, was with God's plan, in mind. His purpose was to fulfill God's will and bring glory to Him. This singular goal set the boundaries for every word he spoke.

This morning, He waits for me to admit my need for Him when it comes to my words. He invites me to take the next step in the process; ask for His help. He impresses upon me the knowledge that I must do this each and every time I find myself in the place where I am speaking for myself with no thought of Him.

Help me, Jesus, I have so much to learn. Give me this day, my daily bread. Teach me what it means to do nothing on my own but speak what the Father has taught you (John 8:28). In your name, Amen.

No comments: