name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Haven't I?

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Haven't I?

"Jesus stopped and said, 'Call him.'

So they called to the blind man, 'Cheer up! On your feet! He's calling you.' Throwing his cloak aside, he jumped to his feet and came to Jesus." Mark 10:49-50

On the outskirts of Jericho, a blind beggar sits on the side of the road. He can't help but notice the large crowd as it walks by. When he discovers that Jesus is in the crowd he begins to shout,

"Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" v. 47

When he is rebuked and told to hush up, he yells even louder.

"Son of David, have mercy on me!" v. 48

Jesus hears the man. He stops and the entire traveling party comes to a halt.

"Call him." v. 49

With those two words, Jesus rewards the man's persistence and his traveling companions are invited to make their circle wider.

"Cheer up! On your feet! He's calling you." v. 49

The group, that moments before rebuked the beggar and told him to be quiet, now speaks to the man with goodwill.

"What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked him.

The blind man said, "Rabbi, I want to see."

"Go," said Jesus, "your faith has healed you." Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road. v. 51-52

I know this beggar. I know the crowd. I have found myself in both roles at one time or another. Both are equally blind.

Haven't I yelled for the Savior to notice me? Haven't I insisted on Jesus' attention even when those around me have urged me to settle down?

Aren't I guilty of traveling with Jesus without seeing those on the side of the road? And though I may not have spoken the words aloud, haven't there been moments when I have thought to myself, "I wish that person would just be quiet"? Haven't I sung a different tune after witnessing Jesus' interaction with the individual who was invited to take his rightful place in the group?

Haven't I?

Lord Jesus, teach me how to see with your eyes.

No comments: