name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Jesus Knows

Monday, March 22, 2010

Jesus Knows

The Pharisees and the teachers of the law began thinking to themselves, "Who is this fellow who speaks blasphemy? Who can forgive sins but God alone?"

Jesus knew what they were thinking and asked, "Why are you thinking these things in your hearts? Which is easier: to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up and walk'? Luke 5:21-23

Jesus knew what they were thinking.

During the last two hours, as I have read God's Word for the day, copied down some of the Scripture in my journal, and asked for clarity about how I am to respond, I've been stumped. I have asked Jesus what he wants to teach me for the day. I've offered to stay at it until something comes to me, no matter how long it takes. I've even offered to bypass writing for the day, even though it would be the first time, during Lent, that I have done so. I just want to be obedient.

His response is to go back to the Word and search, again. This time, the one sentence that is mine for the day, stands out like a neon sign. Ironically, it isn't one that I copied down, earlier.

"Jesus knew what they were thinking..." (v. 22)

Now I know about the dangers of taking Scripture out of context. And I know the warnings about clinging to a partial sentence.
But for me...
For today...
this is my word.

My Savior knows what I am thinking and has asked me to consider the same.

It is not a pretty picture.

I acknowledge that during the last two hours, I have marred our holy time by jumping up to attend to other matters. In between listening for his voice, I have completed two loads of laundry; made arrangements for my daughter's cell phone to be returned from a Houston hotel; retrieved and responded to a text message; stopped to pray for my family; started a to-do list that quickly grew to 25 items; read an email and responded to a friend's invitation to have lunch. Is it any wonder I am having trouble hearing him?

He asks me, "What are you thinking about in your heart, right now?"

My spirit is quieted by his question. With clarity I see, not just the things that I have done and that still need to be done, but all the other stuff I have brought with me to the table this morning...unspoken things. He invites me to name them and I do. I pour out my heart to him about the concerns that are keeping me up at night; about the things that are going on in my life that I am not free to write about.

I had not realized the weight of the load I was carrying until I offered it up in prayer. It is a burden I am not meant to carry by myself. I hadn't realized I was doing so until he asked. I am aware, once again, of the part of me that likes to tuck away the difficult pieces of my life when they are painful. He reminds me that to tuck them away means I must carry them by myself. It is only when I share them that he can shoulder the load.

Thank you, Jesus, for knowing what I am thinking and for the gift of being able to share it with you. Your knowledge of me is reassuring. Thank you for blessing me. I love you.

No comments: