name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: In Error

Friday, March 5, 2010

In Error

Jesus replied, "Are you not in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God?" Mark 12:24 (NIV)

The Amplified version puts it this way, "Is not this where you wander out of the way and go wrong...?"

Wandering off...

Heading down a rabbit trail...

Going in the wrong direction...

all because I do not know God's Word or His power.

It is true. Many a time I have forged a path of my own choosing because I was armed with little knowledge and even less understanding of God. More than once I have found myself lost and confused and with no idea of how to retrace my steps. And too often to count, I have cried out, "Help me. I am lost and I want to come home."

Jesus speaks plainly. If I want to stay on the path He has for me, then I must be in the Word and I must become familiar with the resurrection power that is available to me through Christ.

Several years ago, I took these words from Mark 12:24 to heart. What started out as studying His Word in order to know His Word, has turned into something richer; studying His Word in order to know Him. And somewhere along the way, my confession of immaturity, "I do believe; help my unbelief!"(Mark 9:24) has been transformed into a declaration of faith, "Nothing is too hard for You!" (Jeremiah 32:17).

Christ came so that I would not have to live my life in error.

Father, may my thoughts, my words, and my actions reflect the transforming grace of Your Word and Your Power. Thank you, Jesus, for being The Word. Thank you, Jesus, for your resurrection power. May each day of Lent bring me closer to the cross and you. In your name I pray, Amen.

No comments: