name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Claimed

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Claimed

"When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: 'You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.'" Luke 3:21-22

"You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."

These aren't the words of a father speaking to a small child. These are the words of one man speaking to another man or, in this case, the Father speaking to the Son.

Children are accepting of such words. They do not find it hard to believe that God loves them and is pleased with them. They also receive this same message easily and naturally from the adults in their lives. I was one of these kids.

But somewhere in the growing up process I dismissed God's message and looked to the world for affirmation. Because my heart was no longer receptive to the whispers of the Father, there was always a part of me that longed for words I didn't even know I needed to hear. No matter how hard I searched, I couldn't find anyone or anything that made me feel whole with any consistency.

Many years later, my heart is open, once again.

You are mine.
I love you.
You bring me great pleasure.

To be claimed, to be loved, to know that my very existence elicits such a response from the Father's heart is simply overwhelming.

Thank You, Father, I receive it. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: