name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Leaving a Witness

Monday, March 29, 2010

Leaving a Witness

"When they came to Jesus, they found the man from whom the demons had gone out, sitting at Jesus' feet, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid. Those who had seen it told the people how the demon-possessed man had been cured. Then all the people of the region of the Gerasenes asked Jesus to leave them, because they were overcome with fear. So he got into the boat and left." Luke 8:35-37

Jesus heals one of their own and the people of Gerasenes come to see the proof for themselves. Their response is immediate and close-minded. Filled with fear, the group begs Jesus to leave. Where was their joy, their awestruck wonder at the sight of their brother "in his right mind"? Why weren't they celebrating his good fortune and inviting Jesus and the disciples into town for a meal? Why were they so afraid?

Perhaps it had something to do with the undeniable mass of floating pig carcasses in the nearby lake. Perhaps it had something to do with their inability to reconcile the sane man, fully dressed and looking them straight in the eye with the crazy one they had banished to live in the tombs. Or perhaps it was because they were afraid of the changes the one called Jesus might want to make in their lives.

Jesus knew it was pointless to stay with a people whose hearts were closed off to the blessing, healing and power he had to offer. So he left, but not without leaving behind a living, breathing witness.

"The man from whom the demons had gone out begged to go with him, but Jesus sent him away, saying, 'Return home and tell how much God has done for you.' So the man went away and told all over town how much Jesus had done for him." Luke 8:39

Why, like the people of Gerasenes, do we refuse to invite Jesus into our lives? Why did I ask Jesus to stay away for so much of my life?

I was afraid of what he might see in me.
I was afraid of what he might change in me.
I was afraid of what he would ask me to do.

I was fearful because I didn't know him. So, what made me consider giving him a chance? It was the hard to ignore evidence of Jesus at work in the lives of people I knew and loved. I got to know enough about Jesus through other people until I was willing to take the risk of getting to know him for myself.

Thank you, Jesus, for placing so many people, as impossible-to-ignore examples of your redeeming power, in my life to influence me and teach me about who you are. Help me to remember that the way I live out my faith may very well be a witness to someone who is not, yet, ready to trust you. May I represent you well. In your name, I pray. Amen.

No comments: