name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Prepared by the Desert

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Prepared by the Desert

"They said to him, 'John's disciples often fast and pray, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours go on eating and drinking.'" Luke 5:33

"One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grainfields, and his disciples began to pick some heads of grain, rub them in their hands and eat the kernels. Some of the Pharisees asked, 'Why are you doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?'" Luke 6:1-2

No matter where Jesus goes there are Pharisees and teachers of the law watching his every move. They watch and listen, question and challenge, not that they might understand his teachings but that they might discredit him.

His very existence threatens who they are and what they stand for.

I marvel at Jesus' ability to stay focused in the face of such hostile opposition. I consider the way he ministers with compassion no matter who is watching. I am grateful for his example of slipping away to quiet places to be with the Father in order to renew his strength and stay true to his purpose.

Earlier in his life, Jesus experienced forty days of fasting in the desert... Forty days of being tempted by the devil. I see how this time of testing has prepared him for the taunts and persecution of men.

It makes me think about my own times in the desert. One memory, in particular, of being sifted like wheat (Luke 22:31) will stay with me forever. It is an experience I never wish to repeat but I can see how it has prepared me for the challenges on this road of faith.

God was good to prepare Jesus, in advance, for his ministry. God has been good to prepare me for what lies ahead, too.

Thank you, Jesus, for your example and for leading the way.

No comments: