name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Amazed

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Amazed

On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple area and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. And as he taught them, he said, "Is it not written:

"'My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations'?

But you have made it 'a den of robbers.'"

The chief priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching. Mark 11:15-18 (bold print mine)

Jesus is always teaching. He is master of the teachable moment. To be in his presence is a certain guarantee that his words and his actions will challenge the way I think, the way I do life, and force me to consider a better way. His way.

So how receptive am I to the lessons he has for me?

The big ones...where he overturns tables and benches...are hard to ignore. Sometimes the lesson is immediately clear. Other times, the image lingers until I am ready for the teaching that goes with it. Either way, they make a lasting impression.

The smaller ones...the lessons he weaves into the ordinary moments of my day...are harder to see. I miss them because I drift in and out of "connectedness" with him throughout the day.

Which is why it is so critical that I practice the discipline of seeking him.

It is up to me to go to Jesus' and ask for eyes to see and ears to hear...
It is up to me to daily make the time to sit down with His Word.
It is up to me to respond to the invitation to journal out those parts of His Word that speak to my soul.
It is up to me to reflect on past conversations, events and thoughts and jot down the bits and pieces for further consideration.
It is up to me to quiet myself in prayer...

The rest is up to Him.

He makes my morning quiet time a holy and set-apart space.
He connects the events of my day with lessons from his life.
He calls me to live by his radical example of love, service and faith.
He bestows unspeakable joy as I sit at his feet and soak in his presence.

He teaches me...and I am amazed.

No comments: