name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Extravagant Worship

Monday, March 8, 2010

Extravagant Worship

While he was in Bethany, reclining at the table in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, made of pure nard. She broke the jar and poured the perfume on his head.

Some of those present were saying indignantly to one another, "Why this waste of perfume? It could have been sold for more than a year's wages and the money given to the poor." And they rebuked her harshly.

"Leave her alone," said Jesus. "Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me." Mark 14:1-6

Every time I read this story, my senses go into overdrive. I hear the sound of a breaking jar. I register the gasp of those in attendance as they watch the woman raise the jar to Jesus' head. I see the perfume as it leaves the confines of the container and runs down his head. I watch as it drips off his hair and onto his robe, perhaps even making its way to his face. I register his stillness as he receives the fullness of her gift. And, finally, I am overwhelmed by the smell as the powerful fragrance fills the room.

The cost...
The spectacle...
The mess...
The disapproval...
The overpowering fragrance...
Even the Savior's response to her...
are secondary to this woman's need to worship the One she knows as Lord.

An inward response to Jesus Christ manifests itself in a display of outrageous love and extravagant worship.

"She has done a beautiful thing to me." v. 6b

I want to worship you like this, Jesus.

No comments: