name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Holy Portions

Monday, February 2, 2009

Holy Portions

"But when they measured it out, everyone had just enough. Those who gathered a lot had nothing left over, and those who gathered only a little had enough. Each family had just what it needed." --Exodus 16:18

Early this morning, I received an email from a brother-in-Christ who spoke of God's recent provision in his life. Twice he used the phrase "just enough" to describe the Lord's timely affirmation.

A short while later, I received a text from a young friend who is working his way through college. He was praising God for the abundant ways he has been recently blessed. It is evident that God has gone above and beyond my friend's expectations.

I was struck by the contrast of just enough vs. abundance in the lives of my friends. And, yet, both men were equally grateful for the portion given to them by God. It was a nice start to the day.

So I sat down to do my daily Bible study. (I am currently reading through Exodus.) In chapter 16, God introduces manna to the hungry Israelites with very specific instructions on how much to gather and when.

"So the people of Israel did as they were told. Some gathered a lot, some only a little. But when they measured it out, everyone had just enough..." Exodus 16:17-18a

"Just enough" there are those words again.

God has my full attention. I have been sitting at my kitchen table, reflecting on the just enough and abundance in my own life, especially in regards to our recent move.

If I look around this new house that is slowly becoming our home, I see the abundance of God. It is only by His hand that we ended up in this place. It is everything we had prayed for and then some. It is a place where people are meant to gather...and we don't even know who those people are, yet! So we are mindful that God has plans for us and for this home. We thank Him and wait for Him to reveal His plans.

When I watch my children get out of the car, each day, and face the challenge of being a new kid in a new school, just enough courage seems a good description. As we laugh our way through another text conversation with my son (still in San Antonio), just enough communication keeps us connected to make our separation tolerable. As I unpack an endless mountain of boxes, just enough energy gets me through another day. And as my husband makes the 45 minute daily commute to work, just enough promise of God's bigger plan makes all of this worth it.

Just enough or abundance. I have to agree with my friends on this one, either way, I give thanks to God!

"How precious is your unfailing love, O God! All humanity finds shelter in the shadow of your wings. You feed them from the abundance of your own house, letting them drink from your river of delights. For you are the fountain of life, the light by which we see." --Psalm 36:7-9

Abba, You are the Great Provider. Forgive me for all of the times I have not recognized your provision. I confess that my eyes are ready to recognize You in my "abundance"and often forget that You are also present in my "just enough." Thank You for using my friends to deliver a powerful lesson to me this day. Lord, You are always enough. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: