name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Being Called Out By Jesus - Part 2

Monday, February 23, 2009

Being Called Out By Jesus - Part 2

At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, "Who touched my clothes?" -- Mark 5:30 (NIV)

Two days ago, I wrote a devotional, Being Called Out By Jesus, about the story of the woman with a bleeding problem who approached Jesus for healing. The story has stayed with me and I realize there is more God wants me to see.

When Jesus turned towards the crowd and asked the question, "Who touched my clothes?" I'm convinced he already knew the answer. Scripture says, "Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it." v. 32. While he may not have known the exact shape of her face or color of her hair, it was only a matter of seconds before his eyes would have scanned across the group and found her. He would have immediately discerned which one had been healed from the inside out.

God never asks a question because He doesn't know the answer. No, He asks because He wants us to realize or own up to the answer. Regarding the woman in Mark's gospel, there are three strong points the Lord is hammering home in my own heart, this morning.

1. He asks the question of the woman who has been healed because he wants her to claim the grace which was hers all along. In asking the question, he gives her the opportunity to do that which she didn't dare to do from the start: approach him from the front, submit to his examination.

2. He asks the question because we are to be witnesses as we interact with Him. Our encounters with the living Christ are not just for our own benefit. They are teaching moments for those around us.

3. When we present ourselves, in response to his question, we make ourselves available to receive His words. Because Jesus called out the woman who touched his robe, she received words that were every bit as life changing as the power that healed her. He said to her,

"Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering." Mark 5:34

Don't you know that she repeated those words to herself again and again for the rest of her life? I have faith! The healer said so. He said I am well. Peace is finally mine. I don't have to feel guilty about breaking the law to touch his robe. He told me to go in peace! My suffering is over. It is behind me. I am free! I am a new woman!

I realize that I saw this story, played out before my own eyes, several years ago in a worship service. I remember it so vividly because the Lord directed me to write down every detail I witnessed that day. I've always wondered why. Perhaps it was for today. This is a partial account of what took place:

It was towards the end of a worship service. The pastor spoke directly to the Body of Christ, "There are some of you, and you know who you are, that need to come forward today." The words were spoken with the authority of someone who expects a response. We all waited in anticipation.

A hush fell over the room as a young man, of high school age, slowly made his way towards the center of the room. I knew of him. This was someone who had experienced pain, suffering, and shame, firsthand. He was followed closely by a couple who served in the youth ministry program. They stood behind him in support.

The young man, with his head bowed, stood directly before the pastor. The pastor greeted him, "Brother, it is okay. You can look at me." But the young man did not look up. His head remained down; eyes closed. In understanding, the pastor explained to the rest of us that this is what it was like to come humbly before the Lord. This is what it was like to be overwhelmed in the presence of God's grace and mercy.

The pastor stooped low so that he could look up into the face of the young man. "Son, you have come before this Body of Christ to publicly declare your faith in Jesus Christ. Is that right?" The young man nodded his head. The pastor walked him through a declaration of faith. "Son, do you…?" The young man answered "yes" to each question.

Although the pastor greeted the young man as "Brother," the moment he stooped low he began calling him, "Son." (Much like Jesus referred to the woman as "Daughter.") The words that followed were heard by every man, woman and child in that room.

"Son, you are forgiven."
"You are new in Christ."
"The old is gone."
"You are free from your past."
"You are healed."

No condemnation; only love and blessing.

As the pastor spoke, I asked God, "How many here, Lord, have been afraid to humble themselves before You? And Lord, how many, even now, are physically in their seats but spiritually before You in the center of this room? I know that this young man needs to hear these words. But how many more, Lord, are you speaking to? How many, Lord? How many?"

I was deeply grateful, as a fellow believer and as a parent, for this young man who so humbly stepped forward and dedicated his life to God. I was grateful to witness such a powerful interaction. And I was grateful for the words that were spoken over him because I knew they were meant for me, too.

Thank you, Father, for calling this young man forward as a living example of someone humbled before You. Thank you, Father, for Your words of forgiveness, of healing, of strength and blessing. Help us to claim Your words and to believe them for ourselves.

Claim His grace.
Be His witness.
Receive His words.

I'm still unraveling all of this...and I suspect there is more for me to learn.

Father, You are the Teacher and I am your student. I admit to feeling overwhelmed with the magnitude of this lesson which doesn't feel finished. Help me as I ponder this story further. Open my eyes and my ears and my heart to Your truth. In the saving name of Christ, Amen.

No comments: