name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Taking Back What's Mine

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Taking Back What's Mine

"I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven." -- Luke 10:19-20

Not too long ago, I walked through our new home, praying over each room and anointing the doorways and window ledges with olive oil. I declared Jesus Christ as Lord of each area; inviting God to be present and glorified in every inch of this place. It is my heart's desire that we live in a way that honors Him and that every person who walks into our home feels the peace and grace of Jesus Christ.

As I made my way through the house, I couldn't help but compare it to another house praying experience. Almost two years ago, my attention was grabbed by a commotion upstairs. It was early in the morning and my children were supposed to be getting ready for school. I climbed the stairs to sort things out.

My oldest son had sleepily stumbled into the bathroom to take his shower, only to discover his younger sister washing her hair in the tub. He was surprised and furious. This was not a part of the normal morning routine, as she had her own bathroom (which she was clearly not using).

Her long hair was lathered in shampoo. She wasn't going anywhere in a hurry. Time was of the essence, so, I sent my son down to her room to use her shower. Her reaction was as strong as her brother's had been earlier.

The whole scenario was so over-the-top that it was surreal. It was one of those parenting moments where I was tempted to grab each of them by the arms, look them in the eye and demand, "Who are you and what have you done with my child?"

Eventually, they headed off to school, each convinced they had been wronged. Well it was obvious that something was wrong. This was the kind of bizarre behavior you don't ignore nor can you explain. I decided to cancel my plans for the day and stay home.

It was time to clean house...but not the vacuum and dusting kind.

Since I had never done this before, I used Stormie Omartian's book, The Power of a Praying Parent, as a guide. I started at the front of the house and worked my way through each room on the main floor. I prayed and anointed (with oil) each room. As I finished a room, I turned on the radio, stereo or computer to our favorite Christian music station. Praise music was soon pouring forth from various rooms in the house.

I made my way upstairs and continued to do the same. When I got to the last of my children's bedrooms and began praying, the electricity went out. No more praise music. The silence was deafening. It was no coincidence. The timing was too perfect to be anything but the enemy.

A few years earlier, I would have been freaked out. Not this time. I knew the power of God's Word. Luke 10:19 said that I had the authority to overcome all the power of the enemy. I was taking God at His Word. And, when the power went out and the house went silent, I was furious!

Led by the Spirit, I walked into the main room upstairs. I recall speaking aloud, directly to whatever was out there,

"Oh, no you don't! You can stop the electricity from working. You can silence the radios that were playing music. But you can't keep this house from being filled with the praises of God. In the name of Jesus Christ, Satan be gone."

Then I opened my arms wide, and at the top of my lungs, began to sing, "How Great Thou Art." Three full verses. It was one of the most powerful worship experiences I have ever had.

Wouldn't you know it, not long after I finished, the electricity came back on. Once again, praise music echoed in a resounding chorus from all over the house. I had taken back what was mine using the authority given me by Jesus, himself. Truly, the name of Jesus Christ cleans like nothing else.

Abba, You are the ultimate authority over our lives. I confess that I do not always surrender to Your plan; always to my detriment. But, Father, those times when I live in right relationship with You...they are glorious and powerful. Help me to live my life in a way that reflects and utilizes the authority that is mine through Jesus Christ. It is in his name I pray, Amen.

No comments: