name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Climbing the Mountain

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Climbing the Mountain

"On the morning of the third day, thunder roared and lightning flashed, and a dense cloud came down on the mountain. There was a long, loud blast from a ram’s horn, and all the people trembled. Moses led them out from the camp to meet with God, and they stood at the foot of the mountain. All of Mount Sinai was covered with smoke because the Lord had descended on it in the form of fire. The smoke billowed into the sky like smoke from a brick kiln, and the whole mountain shook violently. As the blast of the ram’s horn grew louder and louder, Moses spoke, and God thundered his reply. The Lord came down on the top of Mount Sinai and called Moses to the top of the mountain. So Moses climbed the mountain." --Exodus 19:16-20 (NLT)

This morning, my attention has been captivated by the picture presented in the above Scripture passage from Exodus.

I am fascinated by the violence of God's show of power to the Israelites: Thunder, lightning, a dense cloud, fire cloaked by billowing smoke, a shaking mountain and the ever increasing blast of the ram's horn. No wonder the people trembled.

What in the world was going through Moses' head when he climbed up the mountain to meet with the Lord?

Was he scared? Was he impressed? Was he excited? Was he awed? Did he tremble? Did he take slow steps or stride with confidence? Did he measure the placement of each footstep or walk with blind obedience? And, what about his posture? Was he walking with his head bowed and eyes lowered? Or was his head thrown back, eyes wide open, in an attempt to catch a glimpse of the One who called him by name?

I love that Scripture doesn't provide answers to my questions. It gives me room to think about the possibilities. It also makes me wonder about my own response were God to thunder an invitation to do some mountain climbing of my own.

God of the universe, You command all of creation. Everything in this world is under Your authority, even the thunder and lightning. Give me the obedience to follow You wherever You call me to go. Give me eyes to see beyond earthly things and to focus on You. And, Father, give me the strength and the courage to climb wherever I must go to meet with You. In the powerful, saving name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: