name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Being Called Out By Jesus

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Being Called Out By Jesus

'At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, "Who touched my clothes?"' -- Mark 5:30 (NIV)

This morning, my daily reading included the familiar story about the woman with a bleeding problem who is healed after touching Jesus' robe (Mark 5:24-34).

What strikes me about her encounter with Jesus is that she knows. She knows an encounter with him will change her life. She knows that he can heal her. She knows that Jesus is the answer to her problem.

She knows and yet she settles...

for the hem of his robe.

Why?

I search for clues within the words of the story.

Here is someone who has great inner strength. She is used to advocating for herself. Scripture tells us that for twelve years, she has sought healing. Twelve years of doctor visits. Twelve years of telling her story. Twelve years of being examined. Twelve years of pain and suffering. After twelve years, her savings are gone and she is worse off than before. Twelve years of hope upon hope dashed when no solution was found.

Worse yet, for twelve years she has been shunned. Because of her bleeding condition, she is considered "unclean." Unclean to family, to neighbors, to friends, to her community...to God. Until the bleeding stops, she is unable to present herself (and a sacrifice) to the priest for a purification offering. By Jewish law, she isn't allowed to enter the sanctuary until she has been purified. For twelve years, she hasn't been able to enter God's house and gather in the presence of His people.

In spite of this, she has great faith. And it is her faith that compels her to push her way through the crowd and approach the back of Jesus' robe; the robe not the man.

"Who touched my clothes?"' v. 30

He begins looking in the crowd for the one who has been transformed. Rather than fight it, she steps forward and falls to her knees. Trembling, she tells him everything.

The same crowd that originally provided her with anonymity, now gathers around and listens as she tells her story. They are witness to the miraculous power of Jesus Christ that has just transformed her life.

I love Jesus' response to her. No condemnation. No chastising. No repulsion.

"Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering." v. 34

That's the thing about Jesus. He doesn't want us to reach for his robe when we can reach for him. He calls us out...out of the darkness, out of our shame, out of our suffering...into his light. He invites us to bear witness to his healing power in our lives. And, he would speak words of affirmation over our lives that would strengthen and bless us for the journey ahead.

So I am sitting here contemplating the times when I have settled for the back of his robe. Many of those moments occur in worship on Sunday mornings:

Sitting in my chair, knowing I should step towards the prayer altar and ask for prayer, and yet staying glued in my seat.
Singing praises to God, wanting to lift my arms in praise, but keeping them glued to my sides because I do not want to draw attention to myself.
Responding to someone's question, "How are you?" with a polite, "Fine" when I'm really needing reassurance and a word of hope.
Going through the motions and feeling nothing at all. Offering up a plea of, "Jesus, help" but avoiding a face-to-face encounter.

Now, I realize that each of those scenarios was accompanied by the question, "Who touched my clothes?" Instead of responding like the woman in the story, I have been acting like the student who doesn't want to be called on in class; gaze averted, hoping and praying that the teacher (Jesus) would turn his attention to someone else.

Why have I settled for so little when he has clearly given me the invitation to experience so much more?

Abba, You are the God of all creation. How is it that You are mindful of me? Forgive me for all the times when I have tried to take care of my own healing by reaching for the back of Your robe and thus, avoid having to speak to You face-to-face. I am still learning how to trust my life in Your hands. Help me to hear You, the next time You call me out. And may I not hesitate to kneel before You and tell You the whole story. I do not want to miss out on anymore opportunities to witness to Your power and healing touch. Nor do I want to miss out on Your words of blessing. I love You. I need You. Guide me, Lord. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: