name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Tell Me, Again...

Friday, February 6, 2009

Tell Me, Again...

“It was the Lord who appointed Moses and Aaron,” Samuel continued. “He brought your ancestors out of the land of Egypt. Now stand here quietly before the Lord as I remind you of all the great things the Lord has done for you and your ancestors. --1 Samuel 12:6-7 (NLT)

Some days I am better equipped to deal with the challenges of life than others.

Yesterday was a hard day. I was ready to throw in the towel by 9 a.m.

I needed help. I called a friend but reached her voice mail, instead. When I heard the beginning of her prerecorded message, I hung up the phone. I did not trust myself to leave a message without crying. And, I was pretty certain that once I started crying I wouldn't be able to stop.

Lord, I need you. Help me.

Ten minutes later my phone rang. It was my friend. She knew, without any details, where I was emotionally and mentally. I asked her to talk to me.

"Tell me about the Promised Land. Remind me of why I'm here."

Without hesitation, she began to tell me my story. She spoke of God's plans for my family in this new place. She reminded me of my calling, of my faith, and of God's strength. She reminded me of my responsibility to trust God to help my children find their way, even as I was finding mine.

As she spoke, I listened carefully. It occurred to me that I listened like someone dying of thirst. I knew the message but, for some reason, I needed to hear it from someone else's lips. Her words poured into me, filled me up, and renewed my spirit.

It was a still a hard day. But, the challenges before me were no longer insurmountable now that my friend's words echoed in my mind.

Father, some days I have so little faith. May I never be too proud or too weary to ask someone to remind me why I am here. I do not possess the courage or the strength to do this on my own. I need You. Show me how to live in Your will, day by day. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: