name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: What Do These Stones Mean?

Thursday, January 29, 2009

What Do These Stones Mean?

So Joshua called together the twelve men he had chosen—one from each of the tribes of Israel. He told them, “Go into the middle of the Jordan, in front of the Ark of the Lord your God. Each of you must pick up one stone and carry it out on your shoulder—twelve stones in all, one for each of the twelve tribes of Israel. We will use these stones to build a memorial. In the future your children will ask you, ‘What do these stones mean?’ -- Joshua 4:4-6 (NLT)

A few weeks ago, the movers arrived to pack our belongings for the trip to Dallas. The gentleman in charge, Sean, asked me to show him around the house and point out anything that needed special care. We worked our way through the house and eventually made our way to the backyard.

On the patio, near the back door, were three large river rocks; the largest weighing around 25 pounds. I pointed to the rocks and told Sean that he could pack up everything but the rocks. Then I informed him that I was going to personally haul the rocks to our new home.

He paused and gave me the oddest look. And then he spoke,"Lady, do you mean to tell me that you trust me enough to pack and move thousands of dollars worth of furniture but you won't trust me with these rocks?"

Without hesitating or cracking a smile, I said, "Exactly. Those rocks are really special to me. I couldn't bear it if anything happened to one of them."

To which he replied, "I'll wrap each one in its own moving blanket, like they were babies, and tuck them in a special spot on the truck where they won't get bumped or chipped. Now will you trust me?"

I actually paused to think about it. With some reluctance, I finally agreed. (It was the "like they were babies," part that swayed me!)

Although there were a few mishaps with some of our other belongings, the rocks arrived safe and sound. They are now in the backyard of our new home.

Why are a few rocks hauled from a dry river bed, near an obscure country road, so special?

The first and largest represents the half way point in my Sabbath Year (August '05-August '06). I had taken a year off from group Bible study and was in the middle of a year of personal study with the Lord. It was hard work and the enforced time of solitude with God was challenging me on the deepest of levels. I wanted to quit even though I knew it was not God's will. So, at the six month mark, I went looking for a river rock to remind me of God's faithfulness (I had just read Joshua 3 and 4). The second rock represents the completion of my second year of daily Bible study with the Lord. And, the third rock represents the completion of my third year.

I did not choose any of these rocks because of how they looked. In fact, each time I walked along that river bed, my only goal was to find "the rock" the Lord wanted me to choose. I recall walking with my head down, sweeping my eyes from side-to-side, as I carefully climbed over thousands of rocks. As I walked, I constantly checked with the Lord, "Is it this one? Or that one? I need some kind of sign, Lord. There are so many rocks...how do I know which one I am supposed to take?" Eventually, my eyes would fall on a rock and I would know somewhere deep in my soul that I was looking at "the rock."

So, here I am in a strange land seeking the familiar. I can see my rocks as they rest near the back gate. Knowing they are there brings me comfort. And, no matter how strange Sean the Mover might think me, it seems perfectly logical to me that I chose three rocks over furniture. Those rocks are visual reminders of my God who has delivered me from sin and death and ransomed me for life eternal. Praise be to God, my Rock!

Father, I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. (Psalm 18:1-2) I will praise You as long as I have breath. In the saving name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments: