name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Giants in the Promised Land

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Giants in the Promised Land

"We entered the land you sent us to explore, and it is indeed a bountiful country - a land flowing with milk and honey. But the people living there are powerful and their towns are large and fortified. We even saw giants there, the descendants of Anak!" --Numbers 13:27-28

We made it through our first week in a new town, a new home, and new schools. Without a doubt, the hardest part has been Claire's assimilation into the high school system.

This school district uses an accelerated block schedule. Students take four classes each day for an extended class time. One semester = one full credit. In our old school system, students take seven classes each day. One semester = 1/2 credit. We're talking apples and oranges.

Claire's counselor helped her piece together four courses (none of which she was taking back in San Antonio) to get her through the first half of this semester. After we determined her paperwork was in order, it was time for me to leave. The counselor arranged for someone to walk Claire to her second period class, already in session, and I made my way to the car.

I sat in the school parking lot and had myself a good cry. And then I texted a few friends and asked them to pray.

When I picked up Claire, at the end of the school day, she did not have much to say other than, "Kids in San Antonio are a lot friendlier than they are here." It was a sobering day.

The next morning, we headed to the high school. Claire was less than enthusiastic about repeating the day...no friends, no one to eat lunch with, nothing familiar to look forward to. I was dreading it for her.

My phone buzzed to indicate that I had received a text.

(As a side note: In Flower Mound it is against the law to use a hand held cell phone in a school zone. The police are diligent in enforcing speed limits and ticketing cell phone usage. Just in case you ever come to visit!)

As has become part of our routine, Claire reached over and opened my phone to read the message to me.

"It's from Miss Vicki." Silence followed as Claire read the words to herself.

"What does it say?" I asked.

"It's a bible verse."

It was odd that she didn't read the words aloud. But we were nearing the school and it wasn't the kind of day to push her. We had reached our destination. With a heavy heart, I watched my daughter gather courage around herself like a shield. She reluctantly got out of the car and walked towards the school. My prayers followed behind her in a desperate plea to God.

When I pulled into the garage, I remembered the text. I opened my phone and read the following words:

This is a new day.
Stand and See.
I am with u & ur children.
There r no giants in this land.
Says the Lord.

It wasn't a Bible verse but it was definitely a word from the Lord. Two things immediately struck me about the message: First, gratitude. I was grateful that God made sure that Claire read the words first. He ministered to my child with words from someone she knows and respects. Second, was the Lord's reminder to me that I was focused on the wrong thing.

My job as Claire's mom was to claim the Promised Land for her no matter how scary the giants might appear to both of us. I had lost sight of that in the midst of the challenges of the day before. It was time to refocus my prayers which had slipped into: "Lord, help Claire to walk amongst the giants." to "Lord, help Claire claim all the goodness of the Promised land You have prepared for her."

Abba, You alone are God. You have ordained each day of my life and the lives of my loved ones. Forgive me for focusing on giants when there is a Promised Land to claim. Thank You for the beautiful friends You have placed in my life that remind me to keep my eyes on You. And, thank You for the blood of Jesus which covers us, the work of the Cross that seals us, and the light of Christ that surrounds us...this day and always. In the mighty name of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior, Amen.

No comments: