name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Enough

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Enough

"Moses said to Aaron, 'Come to the altar and sacrifice your sin offering and your burnt offering and make atonement for yourself and the people; sacrifice the offering that is for the people and make atonement for them, as the LORD has commanded.'" v. 7

"So Aaron came to the altar and slaughtered the calf..." v. 8 Leviticus 9

After receiving instructions from the LORD, Moses has given Aaron a laundry list of dos and don'ts for making sacrifices that are acceptable to Him. I find myself thinking about the first time Aaron comes before the LORD to present the offerings.

Was Aaron scared?
Did he worry about doing everything just right?
Did he wonder if his offering would please the LORD?
Did his hands tremble?
Did his stomach jump with butterflies?
Did he feel the weight/guilt of his sin and the sin of the people as he lay his hand on the head of that Innocent animal, cut its throat and watched its life blood drain away?
Did he wonder if everything he did would be enough to please the LORD?

And how does this relate to me?
Aren't there times when I come before the Lord feeling the same way?

Afraid...
Worried about doing everything just right...
Wondering if my offering (prayer, service, self) will please the Lord...
Sometimes my hands tremble...
And my stomach is filled with butterflies...
I have felt the weight of my sin as I have approached the presence of the Lord.

But, too, rarely do I go the next step.

Placing my hand on the Savior's head...
Wrapping my hand around the nail and picking up the hammer...
Staking the hands and feet of my Lord onto the cross...
And then waiting with him as his life blood is poured out for me.

Too often I live my life as if the sacrifice of Jesus isn't enough to pay the debt for me.

It is enough.

I want my life to bear witness to this truth ALL the time...

Help me, Jesus.

No comments: