name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Free to Choose

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Free to Choose

"Tell your brother Aaron not to come whenever he chooses into the Most Holy Place behind the curtain in front of the atonement cover on the ark, or else he will die, because I appear in the cloud over the atonement cover." (The LORD talking to Moses) Leviticus 16:2

I am working my way through the book of Leviticus. It is not easy to read. In great detail, God spells out the laws and regulations to be followed by the priests in the matter of offerings and worship. To stray from the rules is to offend the Almighty. To offend the Almighty is to die. Two of Aaron's sons have already lost their lives because, "they offered unauthorized fire before the LORD." (Leviticus 10:1)

The LORD tells Moses to warn his brother that he is not free to come and go before the LORD as he pleases. To be in God's presence, without permission, without following the right protocol, is certain death.

I do not have that same restriction.

God has offered up the perfect and final sacrifice for me. Jesus Christ has made atonement for all of my sins. And because Christ shed his blood for me, I am free to approach the Throne of Grace whenever I choose.

He does not force me to come.
He does not restrict my coming.

The invitation to draw near to Him is always open.

So what is it in me that often keeps me at a distance?

Why do I choose to live anywhere, everywhere, but near the cross where His grace and mercy flow freely?

How is it possible that I readily accept the assurance of my salvation...the assurance of the open invitation to enter His presence...and yet, too rarely follow through by drawing near to Him?

And what makes me think that living, even for one day, apart from His Intimate Presence is living, at all?

"let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water." Hebrews 10:22

No comments: