name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Fed By The Savior

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fed By The Savior

"I have compassion for these people; they have already been with me three days and have nothing to eat. If I send them home hungry, they will collapse on the way, because some of them have come a long distance." Mark 8:2

A crowd of 4,000 has gathered around Jesus. For three days they sit and listen as he teaches parable after parable. Now the time has come for Jesus and the disciples to travel to their next divine appointment and for the people to go home. Jesus insists on feeding the people before they leave.

From seven loaves and a few small fish, Jesus prepares a meal that feeds them all.

"The people ate and were satisfied." v. 8

Then, and only then does Jesus send the crowd away.

It isn't in Jesus' nature to let us leave with an empty belly. He feeds us before sending us on our way.

I know this to be true.

Last month, while attending a youth retreat with my old church, I experienced this truth. I was able to spend a long weekend with adults and teenagers who are near and dear to my heart. During that time there was a lot of giving and receiving hugs, smiles, and words of affirmation. I was able, once again, to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with brothers and sisters-in-Christ in service to our Lord. I prayed and praised God with a community of believers that I have missed during this past year since our move.

I was fed by the Savior, himself. I ate until I was full. And I left satisfied.

He always feeds me before sending me on my way.

May I be ever aware of the nourishment that is mine in Christ Jesus.
And may praise always be on my lips.

"Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love
and his wonderful deeds for men,
for he satisfies the thirsty
and fills the hungry with good things."
Psalm 107:8-9

No comments: