name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: When the Manna Stops Falling

Monday, April 12, 2010

When the Manna Stops Falling

"On the evening of the fourteenth day of the month, while camped at Gilgal on the plains of Jericho, the Israelites celebrated the Passover. The day after the Passover, that very day, they ate some of the produce of the land: unleavened bread and roasted grain. The manna stopped the day after they ate this food from the land; there was no longer any manna for the Israelites, but that year they ate of the produce of Canaan." Joshua 5:10-12

I find myself drawing parallels between the Israelites and myself. Specifically, I can relate to the changes that took place once the Israelites journeyed across the Jordan and the changes I've experienced since Easter.

After 40 years, the Israelites eat their first meal from the land God promised them. They day after they partake of the food from the land, God's gift of manna stops. Not because God was being stingy or cruel but because God had made other provisions for them. They no longer had need for the manna and so it stopped falling from heaven.

During these past two years, I have waited on the Lord for things to write about. While the Lord did not deliver something every day, He was always faithful to deliver exactly what I needed, when I needed it. For that, I am truly grateful.

However, during the 40 days days leading up to Easter (Lent), I received something to write (manna), each and every day. God provided me with writing inspiration from my relationship with Him. It was a nourishing feast that alternately filled me with wonder, awe, and further expectation.

Now that Easter has come and gone, I hear the Lord telling me it is time to eat from the land. He has brought me to a place that is flowing with milk and honey...His Word, life experiences, lessons learned. I know, now, that I can sit at His feet on any given day and words will come. Some days, the words will come easily just as the Israelites first harvested the land of offerings they did not plant. Other days, the words will only come after great toil. Either way, the time for manna has come to an end.

I find myself one step closer to writing the book that is to come.
I pray that I might be faithful to the task He has entrusted to me.

No comments: