name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: A Lesson in Rejoicing

Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Lesson in Rejoicing

"The seventy-two returned with joy and said, 'Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.'

He replied, 'I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.'" Luke 10:17-20

This passage has stirred up a memory within me. It must have been four or five years ago. I spent the day up at church. As a member of the Pastor Parish Relations Committee, my task was to meet with a handful of staff members, one-on-one, let them know how much they were appreciated and invite them to share any concerns or joys they had related to their job.

Through the presence of the Holy Spirit, each meeting took on an intimacy that encouraged personal sharing. Hurting hearts were opened, fears revealed, and hopes and dreams brought to light.

I listened with complete focus, and asked questions, when necessary. At the end of each session, I asked if I could pray for the one sitting across from me. They all said, "Yes." Holding their hands in mine, I gave thanks to God for them and lifted up their concerns and challenges to the Throne.

Each time, I prayed, the Holy Spirit added His own words. In amazement, I listened as my voice spoke of things which I did not know...a childhood where the blessing was withheld, the bitter roots of unforgiveness, the depth of love and devotion to an elderly spouse, the pain and guilt of a parent over a wayward child, a new path for one who would soon be leaving.

I prayed in agreement with the Spirit. I marveled at the electric energy that pulsed through the center of the palms of my hands. Something supernatural and amazing was taking place. Not only was I a witness to the power and authority of Jesus Christ but I was the one serving as the channel for that power and authority. It was a heady experience! Afterwards, it was impossible to contain my joy when I relayed the experience to a few close friends.

Jesus' words to the disciples were a teaching, a warning and a redirection. His words apply to me as well. We are to serve Christ and utilize the power and authority we have been given through him but what occurs during that service and the results of our service are not to be our focus.

God, Christ, the Spirit...they are to have our full attention. We are to rejoice in our salvation...and take care not to make idols of the power we have been given or the results they bring.

No comments: