name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Joshua Words

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Joshua Words

"But Joshua said to the house of Joseph - to Ephraim and Manasseh - 'You are numerous and very powerful. You will have not only one allotment but the forested hill country as well. Clear it, and its farthest limits will be yours; though the Canaanites have iron chariots and though they are strong, you can drive them out.'" Joshua 17:17-18

Allotments of the promised land are being divvied up and parceled out to each of the tribes of Israel. The people of Joseph receive their allotment and decide they need more land. They go to their leader Joshua and lodge a complaint. Joshua tells them they are welcome to go into the nearby forest and clear more land for themselves. Instead of saying "thanks" the people of Joseph add a complaint about the Canaanites living close by with iron chariots. (Joshua 17:14-18)

I love Joshua's response in verses 17-18. He acknowledges the size of Joseph's group...but adds that they are powerful. He acknowledges their concern about space...then gives them a parcel of forested hill country as a bonus. He acknowledges their fear about the Canaanites, a strong people with iron chariots...and then restates the piece of information which trumps all of their concerns, "You can drive them out." (v. 18)

Joshua doesn't deny the facts nor does he give in to their whining or fear. Instead, he reiterates their concerns and then refocuses them on the truth; they are numerous and very powerful and can drive out the Canaanites.

It is a brilliant leadership moment. It brings to mind those parenting moments when I have been faced with a whining, fearful child who has lost their focus. When my eyes are fixed on God, I have a better chance of responding as Joshua did. I am able to listen. I am able to offer solutions. I am able to remind my child of their capacity to overcome trials. I am able to speak with hope and confidence even though they may not believe me in that moment. I am able...because I am drawing from God's truth not my own.

This story is also a perfect illustration of what happens in my life when I act like one of the people of Joseph. When I become fearful and whiny, I am consumed with what I see and unable to draw on what I know. In those moments, I am grateful when the Lord uses someone, like Joshua, to acknowledge my fears and remind me of the strength and power that is mine in Jesus Christ.

Lord, help me to look to you when I am fearful and whiny. Give me the ears to hear and the courage to believe the words of those who deliver Joshua messages to me. And, may I be ready to respond to the nudges of the Spirit in order to speak Joshua words over someone else. I love you. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: