name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: New Life

Monday, May 4, 2009

New Life



"How many are your works, O LORD!
In wisdom you made them all;
the earth is full of your creatures...

These all look to you
to give them their food at the proper time.

When you give it to them,
they gather it up;
when you open your hand,
they are satisfied with good things." --Psalm 104:24, 27-28

One of the highlights of driving my kids to and from school each day is checking on "the horses." On a two lane road, nestled between a couple of modest homes, is a fenced-in field where two mares and a stallion peacefully graze. The fence line comes within fifteen feet of the street. My daughter is a horse nut so, whenever traffic allows, we slow down (speed limit is only 30 mph to begin with) to get a closer look.

About a month or so ago, we made the delightful discovery that a foal had joined the threesome. A week later, another foal appeared. There is something so enchanting about new life in the form of these wobbly legged creatures.

In the beginning, the mares kept the foals at the far end of the field. The foals rarely stood up. They spent the majority of their time lying down on their sides, soaking up the sun. The only signs of life came from their tails, swishing at the occasional fly.

As the foals have grown in size and strength, they are spending more time on their legs. The mares have guided them closer to the fence line to acclimate them to the cars and people that pass by.
Yesterday, I told my friend that I was relating to the foals. I've been sticking close to the Father. I need a lot of breaks in order to make it through a day. I'm growing in strength but life is all about the basics, right now.

She wisely pointed out that even as God does this for us, He calls us to do the same for others. Then she proceeded to cite examples where this is true in my own life. I've been thinking about her words ever since...

As someone experiencing new life:
Spend all of your time near the Parent. Look around and take in your surroundings. Eat when you're hungry. Stand when you can. Lay down when you're tired. Soak up the sun. Swat flies when necessary.

As a Believer in Christ travelling with others:
Stand near while the one experiencing new life rests. Reassure them as they try to gain their balance. Guide them to nourishment. Position yourself between them and the road/strangers. Step back at the proper time. (Prayer, fellowship, holy encouragement)

I am amazed that I serve a God who allows me to receive even as He calls me to give.

Abba,
You are the perfect parent! Thank You for watching over me as I gain strength and grow into this new life. Forgive my impatience regarding this process. Help me to trust Your plan. And, Father, thank You for those beautiful people (family, friends and strangers) that You have allowed me to travel with on this journey of faith. Remind me to stand near when necessary and step back - all in your perfect timing. I love You. In Jesus' name, Amen.



No comments: