name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Driving Companion

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Driving Companion

"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."-- Deuteronomy 31:8

Last weekend, I made a road trip to San Antonio. On the five hour drive back to Dallas, I made the decision to leave the radio off and spend some time with God. I worked my way through a litany of praise, confessions, requests, and concerns. Once I was finished talking there was this awkward silence. What had seemed like a good idea now felt forced and uncomfortable.

I resorted to small talk.

So, this is some weather we're having.

I was only half kidding. Up ahead was a line of dark, ominous storm clouds. The outside temperature began to plunge on the digital readout. What had been the high 80's dropped to the low 70's. The headlights of oncoming traffic reminded me to turn on my own lights. I eased up on the gas pedal as my windshield wipers competed with the furious raindrops.

And, just like that, the need for small talk was gone. In its place was a companionable silence that was as comfortable as it was reassuring. It was enough to just enjoy His presence. I found myself remembering, with a deep gratitude, a few of the more memorable times God has been my traveling companion...

- Returning home from college in an ice storm, spinning out on the highway, while miraculously avoiding all other traffic.
- Heading to the airport, with my best friend, with only a map, a backpack and a train pass for a 28 day journey through Europe. (in the days before cell phones & GPS systems)
- Leaving my apartment as a single woman and entering my new home as a bride.
-The heartbreaking trip to the E.R. where they confirmed the miscarriage of my first child.
- Eighteen months later, driving to the hospital as a couple and leaving with a healthy baby boy.
- The subsequent trips that added baby #2 and baby #3 to our expanding family.
- The ride to the airport that was our goodbye to St. Louis and hello to San Antonio.
- That first day's drive to preschools, kindergartens, middle schools and high schools for my kids.
- The all night drive to Oklahoma to be with my husband's grieving family after the sudden death of my father-in-law.
- The sad drive from San Antonio to Dallas that made our present move a reality.

"He will never leave you nor forsake you."

It's true. He has been my driving companion through it all. And, at no point in my life has He ever left me or forsaken me.

A long time ago, a young family (from my husband's hometown) stayed at our home while their newborn son was gravely ill in a nearby children's hospital. When their son died, a few short days after his birth, the father chose to drive his son's tiny body back home. He could do this because he was the town's mortician. Don't you know that Jesus was in the car with them during that very sad drive back to the small town that waited with grieving hearts for the return of one of its own.

He will never leave us nor forsake us...no matter what.

Abba,
Thank You that You are a God who keeps His Word. And, thanks for all of the road trips that You have made with me over the years. I love You. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: