name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: God's Word - Prayer Part 2

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

God's Word - Prayer Part 2

"As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the
sower and bread for the eater,
so is my word that goes out
from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for
which I sent it."
Isaiah 55:10-11

It has been three weeks since the Lord called me to an intense time of intercessory prayer. It's a good thing school is back in session. This kind of prayer tends to spill over into every aspect of my day... which is good for the people I am praying for...but not so great for my family who has to live with me while I'm in a very distracted state!

Ever since the enemy rattled my fence, A Strong Hedge - Prayer Part 1, I have been extra diligent about staying in God's Word, not just for my sake but for those I am praying for. God has also been clear that I am to use His Word as I lift others up to His throne of grace.

Over time, I've discovered a few things about myself and what happens when I use God's Word in my prayers:

1. My prayers are shorter. God's Word is enough. I don't need to add to it.

2. I have greater peace when I claim God's Word for a person or a situation. I don't have to wonder if I said the right words or asked for the right thing. I have faith in God's Word.

3. It takes time to apply God's Word. Using God's Word in prayer requires me to do my homework.

In the past, I haven't always taken the time to search God's Word for the verse or verses which fit the circumstance. In the beginning, I didn't know I should. When I started to understand that it was a good and powerful thing to pray God's Word, I didn't know how. It was faster to pray words of my own then to face the task of searching God's Book - which is overwhelming in size and intimidating to those who are still learning their way around it.

It has become a bit easier as I have become more familiar with the Bible. Amazingly, my journals (filled with Scriptures that I copy during my daily reading) often yield the Words that are needed. Over time, I have purchased several books on prayer that identify helpful Scriptures. But, if I am somewhere with internet access, I will go to Biblegateway.com to search using a keyword or words. The beauty of this site is that I can pull up the same verse in multiple versions and compare the wording to see if the meaning holds true (to what I thought it meant). I can also look at the verses before and after to see the context in which they are used. This has kept me from misusing God's Word in prayer, more than once!

And that leads me to the last discovery.

4. There is no greater blessing than to claim God's Word on behalf of someone else...to me and the one I am praying for.

"...so is my word that goes out
from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for
which I sent it." -- Isaiah 55:11

Father, Thank You for the knowledge that Your Word always accomplishes what You desire and never returns to You empty. Thank You for Your Word that blesses and teaches; convicts and heals. I love You. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: