name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: An Empty Journal

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

An Empty Journal

"The grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the word of our God stands forever." -- Isaiah 40:8

We have a routine, the Lord and I. Most mornings, I pull out my One Year Bible and see what God's Word has for me that day. Anything from His Book that stands out [intrigues, comforts, convicts, challenges, delights, distresses, clarifies, teaches] gets copied into a journal. For the past four years we have been meeting. And for the past four years I have been writing His Words back to Him.

In four years time, I have filled up 25 journals with Scripture.

Open a page in any one of those journals and God's faithfulness and glory is revealed through His Word. Read for a while and that particular stage of my faith journey and state of mind becomes clear, as well. God's Word has persistently and consistently been molding me into the person He intends me to be. Not that we are there yet!

Yesterday marked the beginning of fall and I celebrated by picking up a new journal. When I got home, I sat down to copy the words I had underlined earlier in the day. I had to smile when I saw Isaiah 40:8. How appropriate to begin Year 5 with an empty journal and the promise that His Word stands forever.

Father God,
Your Word is eternal. For so many years, I approached Your Word with little expectation. Forgive me. Remind me, Lord, to approach Your Word with fear and trembling for through it You will speak Life into my very soul. Speak to me, Lord. I am listening. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: