name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Grieving Differently

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Grieving Differently

"In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." -- Philippians 1:4-5

Our upcoming move to Dallas, TX will be the second time, as an adult, that I have packed up my family and started over in a new city. The first time occurred 13+ years ago, when our family left my hometown of St. Louis, MO and headed to San Antonio, TX. It was a time of great difficulty for me: emotionally, physically, spiritually. But as I've pondered the differences between that first move and this one, I am aware of a radical difference in myself.

Move #1 - I had just begun taking baby steps in my faith journey. For the first time in my life, I understood the concept of a church "home." I was afraid to leave and concerned that I wouldn't find another body of Christ that would nurture me and show me how to grow.

I grieved for those things that never had a chance to take place.

I knew just enough about God and His word to cling to His promise that He had a plan for my family and me (Jeremiah 29:11-13). Unfortunately, I didn't have enough of a relationship with God to trust Him to keep His word. What I was lacking was faith.

I hoped He would keep His word.

Move #2 - I may have arrived in San Antonio, broken and scared, but I am not that person anymore. I have been blessed by a church that embraced my entire family. I have been nurtured in my faith, been given opportunities to explore my spiritual gifts, and encouraged to follow the Lord as He reveals my own unique calling. I have been loved well by others and have been given the opportunity to love in return.

Now I grieve for all that has taken place.

This time, I know enough about God and His word to believe that He has already gone ahead of us. I have faith in His plan.

I expect Him to keep His word.

So I grieve differently. This grief is sweet. It is mixed with joy, love, and a deep gratitude for the men and women of faith who have helped me become who I am today. Truly I am blessed.

Most people wait until they leave to say goodbye. Well, I am starting a month early! It is important to me to say thank you - to say it often - and to say it well. To my family of faith at UUMC: You have blessed me beyond measure. You have represented Christ faithfully. And, I will always give thanks to God for each of you. Thank you for all you have taught me. Grace and peace, Denise

Father,
In all my prayers for the people of University United Methodist Church, I pray with joy because of their partnership in the gospel from the first day I arrived in San Antonio until now, being confident of this, that You who began a good work in them will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. I believe You will do it and I thank You in advance. In the powerful saving name of Jesus, Amen.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

What a beautiful goodbye. I know God has many things planned for you in your new city!