name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Celebrating Someone Else's Faith

Friday, December 5, 2008

Celebrating Someone Else's Faith

"For now we really live, since you are standing firm in the Lord. How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy we have in the presence of our God because of you?" --1 Thessalonians 3:8-9

A few days ago, I met a friend at Starbucks. For the better part of 2 hours we took turns catching up on each other's lives. Our time was precious and bittersweet because my time in San Antonio is drawing to a close.

It is hard to believe that we have only known each other for one short year. We were introduced by a mutual acquaintance who thought we would benefit from knowing each other. My friend prefaced the invitation by sharing that the person I was about to meet was grieving a great loss, facing an uncertain future, and doing their best to remain strong in their faith. Would I walk alongside this person for a while?

I agreed. Soon, my new friend and I settled into a routine of meeting once a month at Starbucks. In a way that only God could have orchestrated, our conversations skipped right past the trivial and dove right into matters of life and death, faith and hope, battles lost and battles won. I was humbled by this person's willingness to trust God and me with matters that were deeply painful and personal. In turn, I was free to share the struggles and victories that were a part of my own journey of faith.

Over the course of this past year, the Lord has continually comforted, delighted, and humbled us during our time together. He has always been faithful to provide clarity and revelation regarding the bigger picture of how He is at work in each of our lives.

So the other day, as I sat across from my friend and listened as she related her most recent adventures with the Lord, I couldn't help but celebrate. My friend has persevered in the midst of tragedy and stands firm with a faith that has grown deeper and stronger through trial. Her faith brings me great joy.

I will forever equate the smell of Starbucks with my time spent with this friend. She has inspired me and taught me much about the resiliency of the human spirit. In a similar way, the fragrance of someone standing firm in their faith must bring great pleasure to the Father. I can just imagine whenever He sees one of His children exercising their faith...He stops, breathes in deeply, and smiles with great contentment.

Father,
Thank You for the privilege of witnessing the growing faith of my friend. Thank You for the celebration that comes as a result. Give me eyes to see those around me who are standing firm in their faith. Help me to acknowledge and affirm their faith; reminding them that it is a reason for celebration on earth and in heaven! May we send up a continual fragrance offering of faith to Your heavenly throne. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: