name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Personal Mile Markers

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Personal Mile Markers

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account." --Hebrews 4:12-13

Over the years, certain Scriptures from the Bible have become my own personal mile markers. God has faithfully used His Word to drive home the lessons that have shaped me into the person I am today. I cannot think of the one (Scripture) without thinking of the other (lesson).

Some years ago, a friend was going through a difficult time. My concern for this person became all consuming until it turned into a full-time occupation.

"And why worry about a speck in your friend's eye when you have a log in your own? How can you think of saying to your friend, 'Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,' when you can't see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye." -- Matthew 7:3-5

As I struggled (obsessed, really) with my friend's speck, it never occurred to me that I might have vision issues of my own. Imagine my surprise when God revealed, to me, the log in my own eye.

My priorities shifted as I made the decision to leave my friend in God's very capable hands. My goal changed -- clear vision for myself. Nothing else mattered. The life lesson that followed has impacted every relationship I have: with God, with my family, with my friends, and with those I've just met.

Since that time, whenever I see the Scripture from Matthew 7:3-5, I am reminded of the powerful lesson God taught me. And now when I find myself "worrying" over a friend's speck, I am reminded to leave them in the Lord's hands and to ask God to check my own vision.

This is just one example. There are other Scriptures and other lessons; each powerful in its own way. Personal mile markers. Each a reminder of the road I have traveled with the Lord and how far I have yet to go...

Father,
Thank You for the gift of Your Word which is living and active in my life. Thank You for the way Your Word reminds me of Your faithfulness to all Your people, of how You have shaped my life, and continues to call me to obedience. Help me to be true to Your Word. In the mighty name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments: