name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Denial

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Denial

Peter swore, "A curse on me if I'm lying -- I don't know this man you're talking about!" And immediately the rooster crowed the second time.

Suddenly, Jesus' words flashed through Peters' mind: "Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny three times that you even know me." And he broke down and wept. -- Mark 14:71-72
(NLT)

It is a part of our faith journey -- denying the One we love.

Peter had been told in advance that it would happen yet he couldn't imagine ever doing such a thing. Like Peter, do I naively think that my love for Jesus is enough to keep me from denying Him? The answer is yes far more often than I would like to admit.

Am I living in such a way that there is room for the Holy Spirit to speak course-correcting words of direction and truth into my life?

And when I do hear His whisper convicting me of my waywardness, what is my response?

Am I brokenhearted, like Peter? (v. 72)
Or do I, like Judas Iscariot, pretend all is well by greeting Him with a kiss? (Mark 14:45)

No comments: