name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Broken For You

Friday, January 22, 2010

Broken For You

"And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, 'This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.'" -- Luke 22:19

I had the privilege of serving at a church youth camp this past weekend. Over 350 jr. and sr. high students were in attendance. The weekend was filled with the kind of moments that just beg to be shared with others.

Sunday night was a Communion Service. We gathered in the Tabernacle. A sea of youth sat on the concrete floor while most of the adults (100+) opted for chairs located along the sides and back of the room.

Josh, the Youth Director, began the service by talking about how each of our faith journeys has been paved by the sacrifice and faithfulness of the men and women who have gone before us. We stand on the shoulders of spiritual giants...not one of us stands alone.

He spoke of the 60 years of ministry of Pastor Greg Robertson and his wife Donna...of the spiritual legacy they have established in the name of Jesus Christ. Pastor Greg - tall, white haired, wise and faithful, with a voice so deep it makes me think of the prophets of old. Donna - lovely, Donna, always smiling with a joy that radiates from within.

Josh presented Pastor Greg with a plaque from the youth ministry and to Donna he gave a lovely bouquet of flowers. We prayed a blessing over this holy man and holy woman. It felt good and right to do so. Pastor Greg spoke of his love for us, "You are my family." We felt loved and we loved them, in return.

Then Pastor Greg conducted the Communion Celebration. And I say celebration because that is exactly what it was. Pastor Greg held the microphone as he spoke the words over the bread and juice. When he was finished speaking, he set the microphone down and slowly picked up the loaf of bread. You could have heard a pin drop as he raised the bread slowly, reverently up to the heavens.

We waited as he prepared to break the bread as we have seen done so many times before. Only this time was different. Pastor Greg grasped the ends of the loaf and instead of gently splitting it apart, he tore the bread in a way that sent crumbs flying every which way.

He literally ripped it in half.

With strength.

With violence.

With finality.

I involuntarily sucked in my breath at the image of Jesus' body being broken for me.

And then the oddest thing happened...

the youth began to clap and cheer...spontaneous, joyful applause...as if they couldn't help themselves.

Thank you, Jesus, for your body which was broken for us!

The room returned to silence as Pastor Greg set down the bread. All eyes watched in anticipation as he picked up the cup filled with juice. Ever so slowly he raised it in thanksgiving. Once again, the room broke out in clapping and cheers.

Thank you, Jesus, for your blood which was poured out for us!

That night, Pastor Greg led us in a Communion celebration that I will not forget. Never before have I seen youth celebrate communion with such joy and thanksgiving. Never before has the sacrifice of Jesus Christ been so clear to me. My heart is full of gratitude.

Thank You, Abba, for the spiritual giants who have gone before us on this journey of faith. Thank You for their selflessness, their faithfulness, and their obedience that has helped pave the way for me to follow You. And, thank you, Jesus, for your body broken for me that my sins are forgiven. I am eternally grateful. May I never forget the joy of this special day. In your name I pray, Amen.

No comments: