name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: A Listening Heart

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Listening Heart

Q: How exactly does one go about writing a book?
A: One word at a time.

Q: Which words are the right words?
A: I don't have a clue.

A few weeks ago, the Lord revealed to me that He and I were going to write a book. Now that the initial shock has worn off I am ready for more details. What I have realized is that my day-to-day routine makes it impossible to be still enough to listen.

"But Jesus often withdrew to the wilderness for prayer." Luke 5:16

Jesus retreated from the world in order to be with the Father. It is no different for me.

On November 9-14th, I am returning to a beloved place, Lebh Shomea House of Prayer, where the silence is indescribable and the presence of God - undeniable. It is a desert retreat center located south of Corpus Christi, TX. No internet service. No cell phone coverage. No tv.

This will be my third visit. Each time I have visited Lebh Shomea (pronounced lev show-mae-a) I have encountered the Lord in ways both reassuring and unsettling. While there I have experienced His peace which is beyond understanding (Philippians 4:7). I have also reeled from the questions He has set before me (Job 38:2-3).

There is no hiding from God in this place. It is a place where God insists on honesty and vulnerability; offers opportunities for repentance and healing; and in return, bestows forgiveness, blessing and direction.

So, in a few days, I will go seeking direction for the book that has yet to take shape. I brace myself for His questions that are certain to come.

Abba,
I have heard You call and I am coming. I cannot wait to pull off the highway and into the sanctuary of Lebh Shomea. Soon, Lord, very soon I will be saying, "Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening." Thank you, Jesus, that it will be so. In Your holy name, Amen.

No comments: