name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: Determination and Focus

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Determination and Focus

"When the days drew near for him to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem." --Luke 9:51 NRSV

"...he set his face to go to Jerusalem."

This Lenten season, I have been drawn to Luke 9:51. All the events of Holy week revolve around this one sentence. Jesus knew what was waiting for him and he went anyway.

"...he set his face to go to Jerusalem."
He turned resolutely in a certain direction. His outward appearance reflected his choice. He was going to Jerusalem and nothing would stop him.

"...he set his face to go to Jerusalem."
Outward determination. Inward focus.

What does that mean for me? The obvious answer is that the the completion of Jesus' journey, which brought about his death and resurrection, resulted in my salvation. It is the reason for my joy on Easter Sunday . Still, I think there is more...

I've been pondering my own life against the backdrop of the following question: Have I ever been called to turn resolutely in a certain direction? Have I ever had to make a journey that I knew, in advance, would be unpleasant, painful, or even result in death?

The answer is yes.

Some that come to mind: Stepping away from a Bible study group. Pleasing God vs. pleasing people. Moving.

Each of these journeys resulted in the death of a relationship(s), the death of an identity, the death of a familiar and often beloved routine. Each of these journeys required putting God's will before my own. Each of them involved surrendering my need to control my own life. Each involved ignoring the voices of the world and staying focused on the whispers of the Spirit.

The cost of carrying the cross is great...
"Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it.'" --Mark 8:34-35 (NIV)

The painful process often results in confusion and resistance from those closest to me...
"But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. 'Get behind me, Satan' he said. 'You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.'" --Mark 8:33 (NIV)

In hindsight, I can see how making each of those smaller journeys has been instrumental in leading me to this place. Each time something within me died, it made room for God's bigger plan to take place in my life and in the lives of those around me.

I am certain that there are more trips to be made. I pray that when the choice is before me, I will have the determination and focus to follow Jesus all the way to Jerusalem.

Father,
You are God! I celebrate Your Name!! Jesus, thank you for making the journey to Jerusalem for me. I love you and it is in your name I pray, Amen.

No comments: