name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: So Who Am I Today?

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

So Who Am I Today?

An event from the past takes on new meaning...September 14, 2002

My daughter Claire (10 years old at that time) and I were shopping at the Quarry for a birthday gift for one of her classmates. She slowly made her way up and down each aisle of the toy store, determined to find the "perfect" present. Knowing there was no way to speed up the process; I chose a spot a few feet away and settled in for the duration.

It was a busy day and the store was filled with the sounds of excited children discovering new treasures. I smiled to myself as I overheard familiar parent/child discussions regarding price tags, negotiations, whining and threats.

The atmosphere shifted dramatically at the sound of a male voice raised in anger. A young man, in his early 20's, stood at the checkout counter waiting for his purchases to be gift wrapped. His frustration was directed at the young girl who stood by his side. She appeared to be around my daughter's age; heavyset, dressed in a t-shirt and short skirt. She spoke in a high immature voice that trembled in fear.

It quickly became apparent that she was in distress about something. It was just as apparent that the young man did not care. His voice increased in volume as he harshly dismissed her need and told her to be quiet.

By this time, everyone in the store had stopped what they were doing. Several people grabbed their children and left. Claire looked to me for reassurance but I had none to give. I remember standing there wishing to shield my daughter from the drama and failing miserably. I also remember wishing God would "do something."

The young girl spoke again. This time she was pleading. One bold mom stepped up to the young man and tried to intervene, only to be told to mind her own business. Without a trace of compassion, the man told the girl to go outside and wait by the car.

She slowly turned towards the front door; squeezing her legs together as she walked. I looked down at her feet as she took tiny, shuffling steps and saw the urine as it trickled down her legs. Her head was bowed in shame. She was crying. We all watched in horror as she left the store, by herself, and made her way to the car. The young man gathered up his purchases and stormed out the door, as the eyes of countless witnesses bore holes in his back.


I learned an invaluable lesson that day.

I thought that by doing nothing, I would protect my daughter. I was wrong. While I watched through the eyes of a parent, she experienced the same thing though the eyes of a child – one who could readily relate to the young girl being abused before her eyes. She did not escape the horror of the situation anymore than I had. Both of us were shaken to our very core.

I learned another invaluable lesson.

It wasn’t until I spent time with the Lord, that I understood that I had a role in the toy store drama. By doing nothing, I had failed my Lord and Savior, my daughter, and that young girl. I failed Him. I failed Claire. I failed her. His forgiveness was immediate. He showed me that I had failed because I was not prepared. The next time, He emphasized, I would be called to act.

“Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed.” --1 Peter 1:13
Be ready to think. Be ready to ask what He would have you do. Be ready to act when He gives a directive.

“On the day you stood aloof while strangers carried off his wealth and foreigners entered his gates and cast lots for Jerusalem you were like one of them.” -- Obadiah 1:11
Doing nothing does not keep you innocent. Observing without standing up for the persecuted brings guilt upon your own head.

--------------------------------------------------

So who am I today?

Am I the young man; short on time, short on love?
Am I the young girl; beaten down by circumstances, unable to speak up for myself?
Am I the clerk behind the counter; pretending not to see, wrapping as furiously as possible?
Am I the one who walks out the door; unable or unwilling to witness anymore?
Am I my daughter; unprotected by her parent, identifying all too well with the victim?
Am I the horrified bystander; paralyzed with fear, unprepared for action?
Am I the woman who stepped forward; no guarantee of outcome, standing up for the oppressed?

Abba,
You who know and see all things, You know the condition of my heart. On this day, I confess my shortcomings to you. It is by Your will and Your plan that I am to become more like Christ. I ask You to continue Your work within me that I would be prepared the next time You call me to action. Thank You for the promise that the good work You have begun in my life will be carried on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:6). Let it be so, in the mighty name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: