name='verify-v1'/> Big God - little d: New Marching Orders

Saturday, June 28, 2008

New Marching Orders

“The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people
and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.”
--Genesis 12:1

It is almost 4 a.m. For the last hour and a half, I have unsuccessfully tried to stem the flood of thoughts, concerns, and “to-do’s” that are running through my mind. My over-stimulated brain is trying to come to grips with the reality that our family of five is being transferred from San Antonio to Dallas, TX. It is a surreal moment.

In the 12 hours, since receiving the news of our move, I have been thinking a lot about Abram and Sarai. What went through Abram’s mind when the LORD called him to a new life? Did he struggle with guilt over uprooting his wife and all the people in his household for a destination unknown? And what about Sarai? Did she have a hard time sleeping as her to-do list grew and grew?

I’ve also been thinking of the wisdom of God’s timing in their family planning. It is a selfish thought, I know, but at least they were spared the heartache of moving their teenaged children soon to start their senior, junior and eighth grade years.

Were their hearts pierced over the thought of saying goodbye to family, friends, neighbors, pastors, church and community? Were they worried about where the LORD might take them? Scripture doesn’t provide us with details about their thoughts.

What we do know is how Abram went about the next part of his faith journey. By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going” (Hebrews 11:8). By faith, Abram made a choice to believe God, to trust God and to follow God. I want the same to be said about me – “By faith, she left as the LORD had instructed…”

Father God,
Thank You for going ahead of my family to prepare the way for our move. Today, by faith, I choose to believe You, to trust You, and to follow You on a journey that is largely unknown. I confess my fears, grief and worries to You and ask that You would provide your peace that surpasses all understanding. Give me strength and courage for the days and weeks ahead. I love You and I need You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Denise,
We haven't met, but I do enjoy your blog. Your gift to see God around you is a blessing to all. I wish you well in your move. I do know that you will be greatly missed at UUMC. Godspeed!